Quick! Gimme a song idea!
Seriously, what songs do you need me to write? Something with a little “Kumbaya?” A pop song about pussy power? A chant you can repeat over and over, just to get you through the day?
I’m open, people.
And I’m kinda in a hurry, because I need a new song by next Friday. Remember that songwriter’s circle I told you about? That’s coming up soon.
For the past few weeks, I’ve spent most of my creative time completing a lengthy application for acceptance into the Music Leader Certification Program sponsored by the Unitarian Universalist Association. It’s a three-year program. Apparently, the first test of endurance is the application process itself.
Consequently, I haven’t had much time left over for songwriting, nor the delights of daydreaming, when most of my song ideas bubble up.
That’s why you’re on call.
If you don’t have an immediate answer when someone says, “Quick! Gimme a song idea!” here are some prompting questions. Throw your answers in the comments so I can get to work.
- What is keeping you up at night right now?
- In the last five minutes, what has pissed you off?
- Describe where you are standing or sitting, or lying or lounging, right now.
- Who is taking up your brain space these days?
- What is the song you’ve been listening to on repeat?
- Why is your heart broken?
- What do you need to be reminded of practically every day in order to not fall apart?
- Who is your nemesis?
- Who is your guardian angel?
- What’s the most intriguing word you know?
I’ll be sure to let you know if your ideas turn into a song, so if you’re not already on my fan list, sign up with the link in the right side bar.
My most recent song, “Weak, Weak Man” was written after a dear friend’s “husband” left her. (Quotes because he doesn’t deserve the title.) If you’ve been through such a rotten situation, you deserve a song too, but I’ll also write for the joys and triumphs, and even the hum-drum mundane moments that make up our lives. Practically anything can become a song, so share away!
And hurry. I really need to get started like…yesterday. My hook book open and waiting.